‘Eat at least at least 2 servings of fruit per day’. Or eat more berries or take more oranges, We’re sure you’ve heard that phrase before.
Why should you eat 2 servings of fruits per day?
Well, that’s because it’s good for you and there are numerous health benefits you do not want to miss out on and of course they fruits are rich in antioxidants.
What Are Antioxidants?
While there are many definitions for antioxidant, the one definition that suits this topic is this;
Antioxidants can be defined as any substance or molecule that inhibits oxidation, especially one used to counteract the deterioration of stored food products or removes potentially damaging oxidizing agents in a living organism.
Antioxidants are found in many foods, including fruits and vegetables. They are also available as dietary supplements.
Watch Us On YouTube
These are examples of antioxidants that inhibit oxidation, or reactions promoted by oxygen, peroxides and/or free radicals.
Research studies suggest that when it comes to longevity and overall health performance, some of the benefits of consuming antioxidant foods, herbs, teas, and supplements include (1):
- Slower signs of aging, including of the skin, eyes, tissue, joints, heart, and brain
- Healthier, more youthful, glowing skin
- Reduced cancer risk
- Protection against heart disease and stroke.
- Less risk for cognitive problems, such as dementia.
- Reduced risk for vision loss or disorders like macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Antioxidants are also added to food or household products to prevent oxidation and spoilage.
Vegetables and fruits are rich sources of antioxidants.
There is good evidence that eating a diet with lots of vegetables and fruits is healthy and lowers risks of certain diseases.
We prepared a slideshow for you showcasing the 9 common fruits rich in antioxidants that will help boost your health and protect your body against diseases and age-related health risks.