Bad breath, also known as halitosis is a very embarrassing foul odor from the mouth that can take a toll on your confidence as well as your relationship.
Although bad breath is not a medical emergency, about 25 to 30 percent of the world’s population suffers from this embarrassing condition. The good news, however, is that you can fight them with the bad breath home remedies listed in this post.
The origins of bad breath are not mysterious or unknown; a number of reasons such as eating odorous foods, smoking, dry mouth, medical conditions, gum disease, sinus conditions or intestinal disorders, such as heartburn, ulcers, and lactose intolerance can lead to bad breath.
However, the primary cause of bad breath is the accumulation of bacteria on the back of the tongue or between the teeth.
Nevertheless, good oral health is essential in controlling bad breath. This often includes flossing, tongue scraping, and tooth brushing.
Adequate hydration throughout the day is also essential for fresh breath.
In addition, swish water around your mouth for a few seconds after a meal. This helps loosen food particles stuck between your teeth and clean your mouth thereby eliminating bad breath.
Along with water, bad breath can also be treated with the help of naturally available ingredients.
This article takes a look at the top 10 home remedies for bad breath (halitosis).
1. Mask Mouth Odour With Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has been used as a cure for bad breath for generations.
Due to its acidic content, lemon juice prevents bacteria growth in the mouth. Also due to its pungent and pleasant smell, it helps mask the bad odor.
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice into a cup of water. Stir it properly and rinse your mouth with it.
- Alternatively, you can add a pinch of salt to the solution and then use it.
This is a perfect remedy for bad breath due to dry mouth.
2. Use Baking Soda
Baking soda also known as sodium bicarbonate is another effective solution for getting rid of and preventing bad breath.
It helps to fight bacteria that are responsible for bad breath. Plus, it helps balance the levels of acid that often contribute to bad breath.
- Make a mixture of one-half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water. Use this mixture as a mouth wash and rinse your mouth daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Alternatively, you can brush your teeth with baking soda. This will help reduce the acidity in your mouth and prevent bacteria from building on your tongue.
Any type of tea including herbal tea can help get rid of bad breath. Black and green tea contains an antioxidant known as polyphenols. These antioxidants inhibit the growth of bacteria responsible for bad breath.
You can also opt for herbal tea like peppermint tea or sage tea.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has a pH balancing effect, and this makes it a perfect remedy for halitosis. However, you can try any of these home remedies depending on your preference and availability of these ingredients.
- Add one teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into a glass of water. Stir it properly and drink it before having your meal.
This will help in proper digestion as well as cure bad breath from the stomach.
Fennel is an excellent mouth freshener that helps get rid of bad breath. It contains antimicrobial properties that help combat bacteria growth in the mouth.
- You can start by chewing a tablespoon of fennel to freshen your breath and stimulate saliva production.
- Alternatively, you can also drink fennel tea a couple of times a day. To prepare this tea, steep one or two tablespoons of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
Fenugreek tea is another potent remedy for bad breath especially if it is caused by catarrhal infections.
- Make fenugreek tea by boiling a teaspoon of fenugreek seed in a cup of water.
- Strain and drink this tea once daily until your bad breath disappears.
Parsley contains a compound that can help neutralize bad breath.
- Chew a fresh parsley sprig to freshen your breath. You can also dip the tip of this herb in vinegar and then chew it thoroughly.
- Alternatively, put parsley leaves through a juicer and sip the juice anytime you need to refresh your breath.
Cinnamon contains a compound known as the cinnamic aldehyde. This compound is essential oil that not only covers up bad breath but also reduces the number of bacteria in your mouth.
- To start with, boil one tablespoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- Strain the solution and use it as a mouth rinse to freshen your breath.
Cloves have antibacterial properties that are very helpful in getting rid of bad breath. It also helps freshen your breath.
There are a number of ways you can use clove to get rid of halitosis.
- First, pop a few pieces of cloves into your mouth and chew them thoroughly. This will quickly eliminate bad breath in a few minutes.
- Second, you can make a clove tea by boiling a cup of water, then add one teaspoon of ground cloves and allow it to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
You can either drink the tea or use it as a mouthwash twice daily.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antiseptic properties which act as a powerful disinfectant for the mouth. There are three ways of getting benefits from tea tree oil.
- You can brush your teeth with a toothpaste containing tea tree oil.
- Put a few drops of tea tree oil on your toothbrush along with your regular toothpaste.
- You can make a mixture of few drops of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and lemon oil in a glass of water and use it as a mouthwash.
If after trying any of these natural home remedies and your bad breath still persists, please consult a doctor or dentist to check if there is any serious underlying condition.
Read next: 7 hacks to get a whiter teeth