This article aims at showing you a number of home remedies to get rid of oral thrush quickly.
Oral thrush, also known as Oropharyngeal Candidiasis is a medical condition in which a type of fungus known as Candida albicans develops inside your mouth and on your tongue.
Oral Thrush normally occurs when your immune system is weakened and it can no longer defend itself against this fungus and it accumulates in the mouth.
As this fungus accumulates, it leads to symptoms such as creamy white lesions, usually on the tongue or inner cheeks. If left unchecked, it may spread to the roof of the gums, tonsils, mouth or the back of the throat.
Other symptoms experienced in the mouth include redness, soreness, difficulty swallowing, a cottony feeling and loss of taste.
People of all age can develop oral thrush, but it is most prevalent in elderly people, infant, those with the suppressed immune system and those who wear a denture.
People who have HIV/AIDS, vaginal yeast infections, diabetes or cancer are more susceptible to have oral thrush.
Frequent development of oral thrush indicates a weakened immune system. Hence, you need to boost your immune system through a healthy diet.
Also, you need to maintain good oral hygiene, get proper sleep and rest while also exercising regularly.
However, there are some natural home remedies to get rid of oral thrush and also control the infection and reduce the symptoms.
1. Gargle Salt Water
Salt is considered as the best home remedy to get rid of oral thrush. It creates an unfavorable habitat for the fungus. Also, it helps relieve symptoms quickly.
- Add about ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water.
- Gargle with this salt water thoroughly, and then spit it out. Repeat a few times until symptoms are reduced and you are satisfied with the result.
- Alternatively, sprinkle some salt on your tongue and the inside of your mouth.
- Then, use your finger to gently rub your tongue for a few seconds. Use warm water to rinse your mouth thoroughly. Repeat this remedy twice daily for a few days to see improvement.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a potent remedy to combat oral infection. It is very effective in eliminating the yeast and relieves you from the discomfort associated with thrush.
A 2007 study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food reveals that coconut oil is active against some species of Candida Albicans.
- Use a cotton swab and directly apply coconut oil on the inner mouth area and tongue. Repeat this a few times daily for about a week.
- In the wee hours of the morning, with an empty stomach, practice oil pulling with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Swirl the oil around your mouth for about 10 minutes, and then spit out. Use warm water to rinse your mouth and thereafter brush your teeth as usual. Repeat this remedy daily to maintain good oral health.
Probiotics yogurt contains active cultures of lactobacilli species which is effective in getting rid of oral thrush.
Also, it improves your digestion. For treatment of yeast infection, stick to plain, unsweetened yogurt.
- Take 2 to 3 cups of yogurt every day for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, use your finger to rub some yogurt on your tongue and inside your mouth. Allow it for about 5 to 10 minutes and then use warm water to rinse your mouth. Repeats this once or twice every day for a few days.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is very potent in combating Oropharyngeal Candidiasis. Due to its powerful antifungal properties, it helps inhibit the growth of yeast and provide a quick recovery.
A study published in the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy reveals the effectiveness of the antifungal effect of tea tree oil and its component on Candida albicans.
- Make a solution of 4 to drops of tea tree oil with 1 cup of warm water.
- Gargle with this solution for a couple of minutes. Repeat this remedy twice every day until you see improvement.
Note: Do not ingest tea tree oil as it can cause some potential side effects. Again, you can use tea tree oil against razor bumps.
Cinnamon is another effective home remedy to get rid of oral yeast infection. It has antiparasitic as well as antifungal properties which can inhibit the growth of Candida albicans.
A 2012 study published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine reveals that the antifungal properties and curative effects of cinnamon oil have a positive impact against some species of candida.
- Take 1 to 2 cups of cinnamon tea daily. First, make this tea by boiling a ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder or a little cinnamon stick in 1 ½ cups of water for about 5 minutes.
- Filter and drink it with or without lemon juice all depending on your preference.
- Alternatively, mix a few drops of cinnamon oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil or any other carrier oil. Directly apply this oil on the white patches caused by oral thrush and leave it for about 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this once daily for a few days for improvement
Note: This home remedy is not recommended for pregnant women.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
What’s a list of helpful home remedies without apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar contains enzymes that inhibit the growth of fungal candida. Vinegar restores the body’s pH level to combat the overgrowth of the infection-causing yeast.
Also, apple cider vinegar boosts your immune system and gives a strong defense against fungal infection.
A 2014 study published in the Journal of Prosthodontics reveals the antifungal properties of apple cider vinegar against Candida species.
- Dilute 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and ½ teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Wash your mouth with this solution several times a day until you are relieved of symptoms.
- Alternatively, make a mixture by adding 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a little honey to a cup of warm water and drink it two times daily.
Apple cider vinegar helps you get rid of diarrhea fast.
Garlic is one of the world’s healthiest spices and is very effective in the treatment of oral thrush infection.
It has antifungal properties which can help destroy yeast in your mouth and further supports your immune system.
A 2005 study published in the Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy Journal shows the effectiveness of the antifungal activity of fresh garlic extract against candida albicans.
- Eat 2 or 3 cloves of raw garlic on a daily basis to control the infection. Or, take garlic capsules or tablets after your doctor’s advice.
- Also, directly apply garlic oil on your tongue a few times daily.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the cheapest and effective home remedy to get rid of oral thrush. It is very potent in destroying the yeast infection.
A study published in the Brazilian Oral Research Journal reveals that 5 percent sodium bicarbonate is effective in fighting candida albicans.
Additionally, it helps neutralize the pH of the mouth.
- Make a paste by mixing 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda with enough water. Then use a cotton cloth to apply this paste directly on the tongue and the inner cheek area and allow for some minutes. Thereafter, rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this home remedy 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of days.
- Alternatively, dilute a ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water. Use this solution to wash your mouth until you get rid of oral yeast infection.
9. Oregano Oil
Oregano essential oil can be used to cure oral thrush. It is effective at inhibiting the growth of the yeast that is responsible for oral thrush.
This essential oil also strengthens your immune system.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of oregano essential oil to 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Gently apply it on your tongue and inside your mouth and leave it for about 10 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily for symptoms relieve.
- Alternatively, make a mix about 3 drops of oregano oil in a glass of water.
- Take this solution twice daily for a couple of days. Also, if you want to take oregano oil capsules, consult your doctor before doing so.
Cranberry is another potent home remedy to cure oral thrush. It contains an active compound “arbutin” which is responsible for inhibiting the growth of Candida albicans.
- Take cranberry tablets daily according to prescriptions, for children, fresh cranberry is more suitable.
- Or, drink about 2 to 3 glasses of fresh and unsweetened cranberry juice for a couple of times daily. Repeat this procedure for 2 to 3 weeks for the total elimination of candida.
11. Olive Leaf
Olive is one of the strongest home remedies to get rid of oral yeast infection.
This beneficial effect is due to their antifungal properties. Also, the active ingredient “oleuropein” also plays an immune-boosting role in your body.
- Take about 250 to 500 mg of olive oil extract 3 times a day. However, consult your doctor for proper dosage suitable for your present condition.
- Also, make olive tea by steeping 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive leave in boiling water for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then filter it. Drink this tea few cups daily.
Give a few of these oral thrush home remedies a spin and let us know what you think in the comment section below.