The best advice is to see a medical practitioner or a nutritionist to choose an adequate diet for you. Some weight loss plans work so fast, well you could actually be losing water and muscle, not fat.
Plus, when you eat too few calories, your body may hold onto fat as a means of protection against the starvation.
For a standard weight loss plan, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests subtracting 500 to 1,000 calories from your usual intake each day to lose at a healthy rate.
First, keep a food diary to estimate the number of calories you currently eat, then subtract the calories to determine your weight-loss calorie needs. A healthy weight-loss diet generally provides a minimum of 1,200 calories a day for women and 1,800 calories a day for men.
Don’t eat fewer than 1,200 calories daily unless it’s recommended by your doctor.
Keto Diet Plan
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children.
The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain function.
A keto diet allows the body to be in a state of ketosis which drastically reduces the fat store. Here, the body is starved of carbohydrate. We’ve found an adequate Nigerian Keto diet guide.
The foods allowed on a ketogenic diet include;
- Meat: Red meat, organ meat (skin, liver, kidney), sausage, bacon, chicken, and turkey.
- Fatty fish: Such as tuna and mackerel
- Butter (not margarine)
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, etc.
- Oils: Olive oil, coconut oil, and palm oil
- Low carb fruits: Avocados, coconut
- Low carb vegetables: Ugwu, spinach, green, okra, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumber, cabbage, lettuce leaves
- Condiments: You can use salt, pepper, and various healthy herbs and spices.
Check out: 7 Keto Diet-Friendly Foods For Weight Loss.
Foods to be avoided in a keto diet include;
- Sugary foods: Soft drinks, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, sweets, etc.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, noodles, semovita, wheat, etc.
- Fruit: All fruit
- Beans or legumes: Peas, beans
- Root vegetables and tubers: Yam, plantain, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbohydrates.
- Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar e.g. ketchup
- Unhealthy fat: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils.
- Alcohol: Due to its carbohydrate content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
The amazing about the keto diet is that it’s quite flexible to plan as long as you don’t exceed the foods listed as consumable on the diet and of course in a reasonable portion.
You should include these foods in your diet moderately, feel free to check out this detailed full protein diet plan for weight loss.
Try running your weight loss diet on a keto plan. It may be a bit difficult at first, after 2-3 days, your body would adjust and you’ll be fine. Still in doubts about the very controversial keto diet plan? Here are 5 amazing benefits of using the keto diet for weight loss.