Looking for simple hacks to get rid of razor bumps fast at home? This is your guide.
Almost everyone has experienced razor bumps or lesser known as razor burns at one point in their lifetime. Shaving usually is a quick and affordable way of getting rid of unwanted hair but it can have a major setback.
A razor bump also known as pseudofolliculitis barbae can be defined as a skin irritation that occurs after an area of the body has been shaved. It is usually accompanied by a burning sensation and appears as a red rash and can be itchy and swollen too.
Common causes of razor bumps are using a dull blade, shaving dry, using a hard soap, unconditioned skin and having very sensitive skin.
Razor bump usually comes with a lot of discomforts. Keep reading as we share top razor bumps home remedies you can try for quick results.
1. Use Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Razor Bumps
Tea tree oil is a natural product with antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is one of the superb and quick razor bumps home remedies.
- Mix about five drops of tea tree oil with two tablespoons of water.
- Rub this solution on the affected area. Allow it for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process twice a day.
- Another option, add three drops of tea tree oil to one tablespoon of olive oil. Rub this mixture on the affected area and allow it for about 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
Note: You can apply this oil after shaving to prevent razor bump.
2. Try Cold Compress
Another effective and easy way of getting instant relief from the burning sensation caused by razor bumps is by a cold compress.
A cold compress helps soothes the affected skin area and reduce inflammation.
In addition, it helps reduce itching and redness as well as prevent the formation of razor bumps.
- You can wrap an ice pack in a thin cloth or towel. Place the cloth or towel on the affected skin for a few minutes.
- Another option, you can soak a cloth or towel in cold water and place it on the affected skin for a few minutes.
- Repeat either of these options several times a day for quick relief.
Also, to prevent razor bumps, you can splash cold water on your skin immediately after shaving.
3. Aloe Vera For Razor Burn
Aloe vera is another alternative option for getting rid of razor bumps. It provides soothing as well as cooling the area thereby giving you instant relief from the burning sensation and inflammation.
Additionally, aloe vera also helps keep the skin moisturized, which speeds up the healing process.
- Get aloe vera gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Rub this gel on the inflamed skin.
- Leave it to dry on its own, thereafter rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat this natural remedy for two or three times for about three days.
Read also: Aloe vera for oily skin care.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another natural remedy for rid of razor bumps. It helps reduce inflammation and itching sensation due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Also, the acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can help combat infection.
- Touch a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and rub it on the affected area.
- Leave it to air dry, and then wash it off with water.
- Repeat this remedy two or three times daily until the burning sensation cease.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, ensure to dilute apple cider vinegar with water before Can applying it.
5. Black Tea Can Help Get Rid of Razor Bumps
If you have a black tea bag that you use to make yourself a tea, you sure know how to get rid of razor bumps naturally and quickly.
The tannic acid in tea helps combat inflammation and reduces redness.
- Dip a black tea bag in warm water.
- Put the teabag in the refrigerator for about five to ten minutes.
- Place the cool tea bag on the affected for about two to three minutes.
- Repeat this remedy several times a day.
Aspirin is another straightforward and simple natural remedy of razor bumps. The anti-inflammatory effect of aspirin helps combat inflammation and reduces redness.
- Add two aspirins to one teaspoon of warm water.
- Allow it to turn to paste and rub the paste on the affected area.
- Leave it on the affected area for about 10 minutes; thereafter wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this alternate remedy twice a day to get rid of razor bumps.
Note: If you have a highly sensitive skin, don’t try this remedy.
The anti-inflammatory and soothing effect of oatmeal helps reduce inflammation and skin irritation thereby reducing the discomfort of razor burn.
- Add an equal amount of finely ground oatmeal and plain yogurt, then add a little honey and mix thoroughly.
- Rub this mixture on the affected skin and leave it for about 30 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this natural remedy once or twice daily to get rid of razor bumps.
8. Try Cucumber
Cucumber has hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties which help combat razor bump symptoms quickly.
In addition, it contains vitamins C and K, two important vitamins for relieving itchiness and pain.
- Slice a fresh cucumber and put them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Place the cool cucumber slices on the razor bump gently for about 10 minutes.
- Alternatively, puree half of a cucumber and mix it with a glass of milk.
- Refrigerate the mixture for about 10 minutes. Apply it on the affected area for about 10 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Use this remedy daily for two days.
9. Baking Soda
Another obsolete natural home remedy for razor bump is baking soda. It has anti-inflammatory properties, which has a soothing effect on the skin.
In addition, it helps reduce redness and relieve itching.
- Add one tablespoon of baking soda to a cup of water.
- Dip a cotton ball in this solution and apply it on the affected skin for about five minutes and then rinse with cool water.
- Repeat this procedure two or three times every day as required.
10. How to use Honey For Razor Burn
Honey has antibacterial properties that can aid in treating razor bump quickly. It helps moisturize the skin and reduce swelling and inflammation. Also, honey prevents infection of the area.
- Apply a little honey directly on the affected skin. Leave it to dry and rinse it off with cool water.
- Or, you can mix one-half teaspoon of honey and plain yogurt each. Apply this mixture on the affected skin and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy three or four times a day until you get relieved.
Razor bumps can be prevented by using a clean razor for every shave. Some could still pop up if proper shaving techniques are employed but it’s best to know how to make razor bumps disappear, this is why we’ve written this article.
Some of the techniques for avoiding razor bumps include not shaving constantly, softening your hair with warm water, not using an old and dull razor, using antiseptic like tea tree oil for shaving.
By using these techniques you can totally prevent razor bumps or get rid of them naturally and fast if any shows up.
Have you tried any of these razor bump home remedies? Tell us how they have worked for you in the comment section.