Vaginal cyst removal can be a very tricky process especially if you have no clue how to go about it however with these simple Bartholin cyst home treatments? They’ll disappear in no time.
A vaginal cyst is a closed pocket of fluid, air or semi-solid tissue filled with pus that can develop near the vagina opening. Their size ranges from as small as a pea to as large as an orange.
They are majorly four types of vaginal cysts.
- Vaginal Inclusion Cysts are the most common type of vaginal cysts and are usually very small and located on the lower back of the vaginal wall.
- Bartholin’s Cysts are fluid-filled cysts that form on one of the Bartholin’s glands located near the opening of the vagina on the vaginal lips, or labia.
- Gartner’s Duct Cysts develop when a woman is pregnant, and when ducts in a developing embryo don’t disappear after child delivery, fluid can back up into the gland and form a cyst.
- Mullerian Cysts usually develop when a structure is left behind when a baby is formed.
Causes of Vaginal Cysts
Generally, cysts form when a gland gets obstructed. This causes the fluid which should normally be drained by the ducts of these glands to back up into the gland and cause an enlargement, what is called a cyst.
Table of Contents
- Causes of Vaginal Cysts
- Why do I keep getting the Bartholin cyst?
- Do vaginal cysts go away?
- What are the symptoms of the Bartholin cyst?
- How to burst a Bartholin cyst at home
- 10 Vaginal Cyst Home Remedies That Works
- 1. Take a Sitz Bath
- 2. Try Warm Compress
- 3. Turmeric For Vaginal Cyst
- 4. Bartholin Cyst Home Treatment With Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5. How to Get Rid of Vagina Cyst Using Aloe Vera
- 6. How to Use Tea Tree Oil For Vaginal Cyst
- 7. Use Garlic For Vaginal Cyst
- 8. Get Rid of Vaginal Cysts With Yogurt
- 9. Aspirin For Vaginal Cysts
- 10. How to Burst A Bartholin Cyst At Home Using Sepia
However, what causes this enlargement will depend on the particular kind of cyst.
Vaginal inclusion cysts are usually caused by traumatic incidents which affect the vaginal wall such as seen after an episiotomy (a surgical procedure which helps enlarge the vagina introitus to aid delivery).
Bartholin’s cysts usually occur after an infection (most commonly an STI such as chlamydia or gonorrhea infection) and can be painful.
Gartner duct cysts are caused by persistence of structures that should have disappeared before death.
Vaginal cysts are rarely cancerous and in most cases do not cause any discomfort. Sometimes it might go unnoticed but are mostly discovered during a routine pelvic examination.
Treatment is unnecessary in most cases. However, if you experience unusual discomfort or pain due to the size of the cyst, you will need immediate treatment.
Common symptoms of vaginal cyst include a small lump protruding from the wall of the vagina, vulva pain or dyspareunia (pain or discomfort during intercourse)
To get rid of vaginal cysts without surgery, there are many natural and effective remedies.
Here are 10 Bartholin cyst home treatment and natural home remedies that actually work.
Why do I keep getting the Bartholin cyst?
Bartholin cyst is caused by things like an infection, thick mucus or swelling which can block a Bartholin gland duct and causes a cyst but a Bartholin cyst is not an infection.
The cyst can get bigger after sex. This is due to two main reasons. One is because the gland makes more fluid during sex. And the other is the anatomical position of the Bartholin’s glands. The Bartholin’s are located bilaterally at each side of the vaginal opening and drain through ducts which empty into the vestibule at approximately the 4’o clock position at the right side and the 8’o clock position at the left side. This proximity to the vaginal opening makes it prone to frictional contact during sex and this increases the cysts.
Do vaginal cysts go away?
Most Bartholin gland cysts go away without treatment however if it’s infected, it may break open and might start to heal on its own after 3 to 4 days but if the cyst is painful, your doctor may need to drain it. Usually, this will involve making an incision on the cyst, a process called marsupialization or your doctor might use a special catheter called the WORD catheter to drain it. Doctors specialized in treating these conditions are called gynaecologists.
You may also need to take antibiotics to treat the infection.
What are the symptoms of the Bartholin cyst?
You may not experience any symptoms if the Bartholin cyst is small and uninfected unless it grows and gets infected then you should watch out for some of these symptoms listed below.
- A tender painful lump near the vaginal area
- Dyspareunia (pain during sex)
- Fever and chills
- Discomfort while walking or sitting
How to burst a Bartholin cyst at home
You can burst a Bartholin cyst at home by soaking in a tub filled with few inches of warm water several times a day for three or four days may help a small, infected cyst to rupture and drain on its own however you may need surgery to drain a cyst that is large or infected.
If it does not naturally drain itself and resolve with sitz baths after several days, you may want to see your doctor and discuss the possibility of surgical drainage.
10 Vaginal Cyst Home Remedies That Works
1. Take a Sitz Bath
Taking a sitz bath is an effective way of reducing discomforts that accompanies vaginal cysts.
It also helps reduce vaginal irritation and encourages healing by promoting cyst drainage.
What’s more, a sitz bath helps to sanitize the area and reduce the risk of infection hence they’re an effective vaginal cyst home remedy.
How to use Sitz Bath to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Fill a bathtub with warm water.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt into the water.
- Dip your genital area for about 15 minutes intermittently until the water loses its heat.
- Wipe your genital area gently with a clean towel afterward.
- Take a sitz bath about twice or thrice daily for a week.
2. Try Warm Compress
Warm compress is one of the effective Bartholin cyst home remedies that encourage draining, which in turn helps in the healing process.
It also helps to kill bacteria thereby reducing the risk of infection and inflammation.
How to use Warm Compress to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Dip a washcloth or a clean towel in hot water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the warm cloth on the affected area for a few minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 or 4 times daily until the fluid starts draining out of the cyst.
Note: Do this with care to avoid burning the delicate tissues in the vaginal area.
3. Turmeric For Vaginal Cyst
Turmeric is also one of the potent Bartholin cyst home remedies.
The active compound in turmeric which is called curcumin works as an anti-inflammatory agent that helps alleviate pain and inflammation.
Additionally, turmeric is a natural antiseptic, meaning it can help prevent and treat most kinds of infection.
How to use Turmeric to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Make a paste by mixing 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little coconut oil together.
- Rub the paste gently over the cyst and allow it to sit for a couple of hours.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and repeat the process until the cyst bursts.
- Alternatively, drink a glass of hot milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed in it. This helps to promote healing and also controls pain.
Note: While applying turmeric paste, be careful as it can cause a yellowish stain on fabric and skin.
4. Bartholin Cyst Home Treatment With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another effective and easy remedy for vaginal cysts. Due to its acidic nature, it can help reduce the size and swelling of vaginal cysts.
It also helps maintain the pH level of the vagina, further reducing the risk of infection and even inhibit the development of more cysts.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Make a mixture of 2 teaspoons of organic, raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with ½ cup of warm water. Soak a ball of clean wool or ball in this mixture and place it directly on the cyst for about a minute. Repeat this process 3 to 4 times daily for a few days.
- Another option, pour 1 cup of raw, unfiltered, apple cider vinegar into a bathtub filled with warm water. Dip your lower body into the water for about 15 minutes. Repeat this 2 or 3 times daily for quick relief.
- Or, mix a teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink it twice daily to promote healing from the inside.
Note: Apple cider vinegar is an effective home remedy that can also help you get rid of diarrhea.
5. How to Get Rid of Vagina Cyst Using Aloe Vera
Amongst the best vaginal cyst home remedies is the Aloe vera.
It possesses healing and anti-inflammatory properties that aid in the healing process and reduces inflammation.
How to use Aloe Vera to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Get a fresh aloe vera gel from an aloe plant leaf and apply it directly to the cyst region.
- Leave it for about 15 to 20 minutes and thereafter rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this remedy 3 or 4 times a day.
- Another option, mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder. Stir it vigorous until the mixture forms a paste.
- Gently apply this paste on the cyst. Leave it on for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Carry out this home remedy once a day.
6. How to Use Tea Tree Oil For Vaginal Cyst
Tea tree oil could be all you need to get rid of a Bartholin cyst. Particularly, it can really help with pain and inflammation associated with vaginal cysts.
Tea tree oil is also a potent home remedy for Bartholin cysts.
What’s more, tea tree oil also helps get rid of harmful bacteria in the vaginal area and thus reduces the risk of vaginal infection.
In fact, it is very effective as it helps drain cyst within 1 or 2 days.
How to use tea tree oil to get rid of Bartholin Cyst
- Make a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of 100 tea tree oil with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and gently apply on the cyst.
- Leave it for about 20 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this remedy once or twice daily or as needed.
- Alternatively, add 3 to 5 drops of tea tree oil to a cup of water. Use this solution to rinse the affected area a few times every day until you see improvements.
Tea tree oil is a potent home remedy for getting rid of a vaginal cyst. Here are the cheapest and best tea tree oil bottles to buy on Amazon.
- Eve Hansen Organic Tea Tree Oil (2oz)
- Best Tea Tree Essential Oil Pure Certified Organic Therapeutic Grade 60ml
- Tea Tree Oil (LARGE 4 OUNCE) Best Essential Oil
- Handcraft TeaTree Essential Oil With Fragrance Options
7. Use Garlic For Vaginal Cyst
Garlic is a very popular spice and has proven to be one of the most effective vaginal cyst home remedies, mainly due to its potent antibiotic properties.
It has properties that kill bacteria around the cysts, thereby reducing the risk of infection.
What’s more, garlic, when ingested, helps boost the immune system to help fight infections and promote healing.
How to use garlic to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Rub a clove of little-crushed garlic on the cyst area for 2 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water. You can apply coconut oil to reduce the stinging effect of garlic. Repeat this remedy at least twice daily.
- Alternatively, you can eat 1 crushed garlic clove 2 or 3 times a day, gulp it down with a glass of water to boost your immune system.
8. Get Rid of Vaginal Cysts With Yogurt
Yogurt is a good ingredient that you can use to cure vaginal cysts.
Greek yogurt being rich in lactobacillus bacteria helps restore the normal pH of the vagina.
This helps stops the activity of infectious microorganisms that can cause infections, which could make the condition worse and delay the healing process.
What’s more, yogurt also reduces vaginal odor.
How to use Yogurt to get rid of vaginal Cyst
- Dip a cotton ball in plain yogurt and gently apply it on the cyst area. Let it stay for a few hours, then rinse the area thoroughly with lukewarm water. Do this twice or thrice daily.
- Another option, you can eat 1 to 2 cups of yogurt daily
9. Aspirin For Vaginal Cysts
Aspirin can be used to treat vaginal cysts.
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps to deal with the pain and inflammation as well as reduces the risk of infection.
How to use Aspirin to get rid of a Bartholin’s Cyst
- Crush a few tablets of aspirin into a powder form.
- Add a little water to form a paste. You can as well use castor oil instead of water (this will help reduce inflammation and aid healing process).
- Gently apply this paste on the cyst area and leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat this Bartholin cyst home treatment for 1 or 2 times daily to see actual results.
10. How to Burst A Bartholin Cyst At Home Using Sepia
Sepia has been used as a Bartholin cyst home treatment for a long time. It is made from the dark, brownish-gray pigment obtained from the ink of the cuttlefish.
Sepia is very effective in fighting inflammation and pain associated with vaginal cysts. In addition, it can also be used to prevent the development of cysts.
Sepia is readily available in the homeopathic clinic in pellets. However, for the correct dosage, consult your doctor.
It is important to keep your genitals clean at all times. A number of these simple home remedies for vaginal cyst should do the trick in helping you get rid of the Bartholin cyst.
Are you a sucker for home remedies? We have a couple more simple natural home remedies in our archive. It’s also advisable to use some supplements for your vaginal health so here are the best probiotics for you in 2019 and beyond.
Questions or contributions? Please use the comment form below.