Dark circles under the eye have a way of making the face look older and tired, dealing with dark circles can be really annoying and makeups can’t really make them disappear, just covers it up basically.
Dark circles are caused as a result of sleep deprivation, it can be caused by stress too or the wrong products which will lock out your skin nutrients and leave the eyes looking tired.
With time these dark circles will accumulate and make the face look wrinkled and if you have discovered you have dark circles, there is no need to panic as you can easily get rid of them with some natural remedies, some chemical products might irritate your skin so it is advisable to use natural ingredients.
Endeavor to be patient and constant in getting rid of these dark circles, follow a routine and stick to it for a while to get effective results.
Below are some homemade remedies for dark circles.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Circles Quickly
To some people, dark circles are not as a result of stress or sleep deprivation, it might be due to genetics, aging or allergies which causes an inflammatory response, but whichever might be the case, here are some effective remedies you can apply to get rid of dark circles and under eye bags.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has been easily selected to get rid of dark circles because it contains powerful antioxidants that restore melanin to the skin and moisturizing it as well, the vitamin E and antioxidants found in coconut oil helps repair and restore damaged skin cells (2).
How to use coconut oil to get rid of dark circles
- Gently massage coconut oil under your eyes before going to bed and rinse off in the morning with lukewarm water. It will help reduce swelling as well.
Tomatoes are known to help lighten the skin and clear blackheads from pimples from the skin, they contain some bleaching properties (3), so makes it easier for them to clear dark circles and leave the skin clear and smooth.
How to use tomato to get rid of dark circles
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato paste with a half teaspoon of lemon juice
- Apply this mixture to your eyes
- You should let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse afterward with warm water.
- This process should be used two times a week for two weeks.
3. Adjust Your Sleeping Habit And Drink More Water
Lack of sleep has been detected as one of the major causes of dark circles, you need at least 8 hours sleep a day to help your body relax and your eyes would have been properly rested.
Poor hydration can also lead to dark circles, try drinking more water to help keep your body properly hydrated, you can create a dark cool environment to help you sleep better, you can set a schedule or time to help you get a proper 8 hours sleep.
Scientists have isolated a number of antioxidants present in cucumbers, including cucurbitacins, vitexin, orientin, and isoscoparin, along with vitamins C and K which can absorb these antioxidants through your skin. Cucumbers also have a cooling effect on the eye which reduces swelling and inflammation on the skin.
How to use cucumber to get rid of dark circles
- Lie on your back and place a slice of cucumber on each closed eyelid,
- Use a cold cucumber as that is more effective
- Leave for 30 minutes, do this twice in a week for effective result
5. Raw Potato
You will be amazed at how effective raw potatoes can be, it consists of riboflavin and vitamin B5 which helps to treat acne naturally and get rid of a dark spot on the face. Raw potatoes are preferred because it contains more starch and fiber at the raw stage (5).
How to use raw potatoes to get rid of dark circles
- Squeeze the juice out of the grated potato.
- Store the juice in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Dip cotton balls in the potato juice and apply them on the dark circles under your eyes.
- Leave the cotton balls under your eyes for 15-20 minutes.
6. Cold Milk
Cold milk is also one of the best natural remedies to clear those dark circles, milk contains lactic acid (6), which will help to remove puffiness and darkness around the eye. Drinking milk every morning will also help to erase traces of tiredness and make your face look a little bit radiant.
How to use cold milk to get rid of dark circles
- Soak two cotton balls in cold milk, make sure the milk is well refrigerated.
- Place them under your eyes
- Leave for a couple of minutes before removing them and washing your face with water.
7. Cold Tea Bags
Another substitute for cold milk is a cold tea bag, it eliminates tired eyes (7).
Tea bag won’t harm your skin in any way so you can do this as often as you can to get results, the caffeine helps to relieve the pressure on the eye and clean up the dark area.
- Take the two tea bags and steep them in hot water for 3-5 minutes.
- Take the tea bags out and put them in your container of choice
- Leave them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until cold
- Take the tea bags out
- Lay down and put the tea bags over your eyes.
These are treatments that could work depending on the cause of the dark circle, you can also try using makeups to conceal them, it won’t get rid of the dark circles entirely but will camouflage it for the time.
Dark circles mostly occur when you are not getting enough sleep and with the right measures, they would fade with time, some can also be related to aging but still no cause for alarm but however if the discoloration and swelling worsen then you should consider seeing a doctor.
Read more on beauty and skincare:
- How to Clear Hormonal Acne Fast: Complete Guide
- 43 Skin Care Tips For Hot Weather Conditions (Summer)
- How I Used Aloe Vera Juice to Get Rid Of The Pimples On My Face
- 7 Incredible Vitamin E Oil Benefits for Skin Care
- 9 Vitamin C Benefits for Skincare (Best Vitamin C Serum to Buy 2019)
- What Are The Causes Of Dark Spot On Face? And How to Get Rid of It
Use any of these home remedies to get rid of dark circles? Tell us about your experience in the comments section.