One of the most important hair products for natural hair is conditioner, it is vital for keeping it moisturized and bouncing at all times. Hair conditioner is a hair care product that is used to improve the feel, manageability, and appearance of all hair textures, it is usually used after washing your hair with shampoo, it is worked into your hair and may either be washed off or leave-in, it is important to make use of conditioner after washing with shampoo as it seals in moisture especially for natural hair texture which is naturally dry.
Does natural hair need conditioner? Deep conditioning your natural hair strand is necessary to prevent getting dry and brittle hair, they keep your strands strong and moisturized however there are various kinds of conditioners, and getting the right one helps prevent damages.
Wearing your hair natural sounds easy but it’s more complicated than it sounds and one product stylists agree helps keep the hair in check is a conditioner, you can easily keep a healthy and well-hydrated hair using the best conditioner.
Table of Contents
- Benefits Of Conditioner For Natural Hair
- The Best Conditioners For Natural Hair, According to Reviews
- 1. TRESemmé Botanique Conditioner- Best Conditioner Overall
- 2. Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner- Best Conditioner For Damaged Hair
- 3. Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Moisture Conditioner- Best Conditioner For Scalp Relief
- 4. Maui Moisture Quench Conditioner- Best Conditioner For Curly Hair
- 5. Alba Botanical Mega Moisture Conditioner- Best Budget
- 6. Silk 18 Keratin Natural Hair Conditioner- Best For Color Treated Natural Hair
- 7. Coconut Milk & African Marula Conditioner- Best Moisture Conditioner
- 8. Renpure Coconut Cream Conditioner- Best Conditioning Cream
Benefits Of Conditioner For Natural Hair
Conditioner is a moisturizing agent designed to keep your curls hydrated and believe it or not, there is a right and wrong way to use a conditioner to get the full effect of it, the right way to apply this according to experts is to apply in a long fluid motion and leave it in for 2 minutes and 3 minutes for deep conditioning. Before skipping a conditioning treatment after shampooing your hair, here are a couple of benefits you should know.
- Prevents breakage and damages
- Reduce hair frizz
- Helps in moisture retention
- Reduces the chances of color fading in hair
- Makes hair softer
- Conditioner refortifies the hair cuticle with a protective coating which allows the hair to keep growing and not break easily
The Best Conditioners For Natural Hair, According to Reviews
Conditioners do lots of work in detangling and keeping natural hair smooth which is why it’s essential to have the best natural hair for your natural hair. Dermatologists and stylists recommend that conditioning every time you shampoo in order to add moisture back and it really makes your natural hair easier to comb and style. We have compiled some of the best natural hair conditioners from Amazon according to reviews.
- TRESemmé Botanique Conditioner– Best Conditioner Overall
- Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner– Best Conditioner For Damaged Hair
- Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Moisture Conditioner– Best Conditioner For Scalp Relief
- Maui Moisture Quench Conditioner– Best Conditioner For Curly Hair
- Alba Botanical Mega Moisture Conditioner– Best Budget
- Silk 18 Keratin Natural Hair Conditioner– Best For Color Treated Natural Hair
- Coconut Milk & African Marula Conditioner– Best Moisture Conditioner
- Renpure Coconut Cream Conditioner– Best Conditioning Cream
|TRESemmé Botanique Conditioner Nourish & Replenish Coconut & Aloe Vera Paraben-free||Buy Now|
|SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Hair Conditioner For Dry, Damaged or Transitioning Hair||Buy Now|
|Head & Shoulders Conditioner Royal Oils Moisture 13.5 Ounce (400ml) (3 Pack)||Buy Now|
|Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Conditioner, 13 Ounce, Silicone Free Conditioner Ideal for Thick, Curly Hair, Defines, Detangles & Defrizzes Hair||Buy Now|
|Alba Botanica Drink It Up Coconut Milk Hawaiian Conditioner, Yellow , 12 oz.||Buy Now|
|Natural Hair Conditioner Paraben Free Silk Amino Acids and Keratin for Women Men Kids with Dry Hair Safe for Color Treated Hair||Buy Now|
|Not Your Mother's Naturals Coconut Milk & African Marula Tree Oil High Moisture Conditioner 16 oz||Buy Now|
|Renpure Coconut Cream Nourishing Conditioner, 32 Ounce||Buy Now|
1. TRESemmé Botanique Conditioner- Best Conditioner Overall
This is an amazing conditioner which prolongs the health of every natural hair type, it is the best conditioner for dry hair. Tresemme Botanique conditioner nourishes and replenishes hair with moisture, it is blended with natural ingredients to smooth and silken your natural hair which gives you quality styling. This conditioner provides great slip and shine and it contains waterlily and a hint of plum to add some freshness to its fragrance.
- Leave tresses feeling moisturized
- Detangles and quenches dry and brittle hair
- Best of all for all hair types
- Can be used as leave-in and detangler
Interesting Review: I have wavy hair and I have 2 kids with wavy hair, 2 kids with curly hair, and one with dry brittle straight hair. My sixth has fine straight hair. This works on all 7 of us amazingly. I have tried to switch it up but keep being disappointed. Nothing works as well as this conditioner. Megan via Amazon
If you are looking for something that restores damaged and dry hair without weighing it down, shea moisture has been suggested to give you the standard moisture you want in your natural hair. This conditioner is perfect for transitioning from chemically treated hair to natural hair, it contains fair trade shea butter that nourishes and replenishes lost nutrients in hair and scalp.
This restorative conditioner contains no harsh ingredients and helps to reveal beautiful curl hair in no matter of time using it, it can be used as leave-in or rinse out for detangling, moisturizing and restores lifeless damaged hair.
- Moisturize and fortify natural hair
- Perfect for transitioning from chemically treated hair to natural
- Restores lifeless damaged hair
- It leaves residue if worked into the scalp
- Not for all hair types
Interesting Review: My hair type is fine, white, and I use platinum color on it to even it out. Not surprisingly I have breakage and dryness issues. I use As I Am Coconut Cowash for my shampoo, and this for my conditioner. Used as directed, I’ve not had a problem with my hair being weighed down or greasy. I went to a new salon the other day and the girl said, whatever you’re doing, keep on with it. This product and my shampoo are generally marketed to black people but I am Caucasian and it works great for me. Both products have almost exclusively natural ingredients and no artificial chemicals. Kathy S via Amazon.
3. Head & Shoulders Royal Oils Moisture Conditioner- Best Conditioner For Scalp Relief
Royal oils moisture renewal conditioner is recommended for all-natural hair types struggling with keeping a fine healthy hair, this conditioner has been formulated to restore moisture to hair and scalp. It has been designed to meet the needs of every natural, relaxed, kinky, and coily hair types, it also offers long-lasting scalp relief.
- Long-lasting scalp relief
- Restores moisture to scalp and hair
Interesting Review: …because my hair is the BOMB DOT COM. I’ll never use another conditioner again. Well, at least not until Head & Shoulders decides to piss me off and stop making it. MJ via Amazon.
4. Maui Moisture Quench Conditioner- Best Conditioner For Curly Hair
Maui moisture quench + coconut oil conditioner is ideal for thick curly hair to define, detangle, and get rid of frizz, it leaves your locks looking and feeling healthy. This conditioner has been blended with coconut oil and papaya butter together to enhance your hair, it also contains a unique blend of aloe vera juice and coconut water to make styling easy and acts as a treatment for scalp problem.
- For all hair types
- Leaves your hair looking hydrated and smooth
- Likely to weigh down low porosity hair if you use too much
Soften Review: I purchased the Maui Moisture Quench + Coconut Oil and my 4c hair loves it. For a twist out style, the key for my hair. I spritz with water, next apply the Maui Moisture Quench + Coconut Oil, make sure my ends are curled (you can use a few comfy hair rollers…cover my hair at night. In the am…the waves are very defined and beautiful. NEECEE via Amazon
5. Alba Botanical Mega Moisture Conditioner- Best Budget
This is a vibrant nourishing conditioner for your hair, it contains no harsh ingredients and easy to use on all-natural hair type, this conditioner provides you with a healthy hair scalp, makes styling easy as well. Alba botanical conditioner contains coconut milk that locks in moisture, protects from heat styling, and hydrates hair.
- Protects from heat styling
- Lightweight conditioner
- Natural ingredients
- Smells great
Interesting Review: This is a rich luxurious conditioner with a wonderful smell of coconut. For dry and damaged hair this conditioner works better than anything else I have used. With no nasty chemicals and not tested on animals it a real win, win! Janda via Amazon
This is a great conditioner for reducing frizz and gives results of full-bodied hair texture, it is formulated hibiscus, aloe vera, and green tea that provides your hair with nutrients. This is a frizz-free conditioner for all-natural hair types, all it contains natural ingredients that effectively to give you soft, lustrous strands, This conditioner comes with a delicious soothing natural vanilla fragrance.
- It is gentle enough for sensitive skin and color-treated hair
- The amino acid complex which coats and penetrates your hair shaft
- Protects hair against dryness, damages fortify your hair from root to tip
- Great fragrance
- Not for deep moisture
- Leaves the hair dry if left for too long
Interesting Review: I have crazy frizzy curly hair that I’m trying to grow long. When I wake up I look like Doc Brown from Back to the Future, and throughout the day my hair gets bigger and bigger. I could be a backup singer for Abba with such hair. This product is a miracle and actually gives me my curls back. I put it on right after my shower, comb it in, and leave it in. Later in the day, I add some water, and my hair is soft with nice springy curls. I really like the look. My cats no longer leave toys in my hair. People can see over me at the movie theater. I don’t generate phone destructive static electricity. Like I said: a miracle. Highly recommend. Charles J Cohen via Amazon
7. Coconut Milk & African Marula Conditioner- Best Moisture Conditioner
This is a great all-natural conditioner for your natural hair, formulated to retain moisture in natural hair without stripping it of nutrient or cleaving any residue, this conditioner is great for co-washing or to be used after washing with your regular shampoo.
- High moisture that helps nourish and hydrate all hair types
- Invigorates hair without any harsh chemical
- Not a leave-in
- The pump can come on too strong
Interesting Review: Currently using as part of my cowash routine for the curly girl method. I have both this conditioner and one of the other scents by the same brand. This is personally my favorite because it lathers a little more than the standard conditioner. Probably due to the coconut milk. Will buy it again. Jessica E via Amazon
8. Renpure Coconut Cream Conditioner- Best Conditioning Cream
Renpure coconut nourishing conditioner is suitable for all-natural hair types, it is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fats which are essential for healthy hair growth and they are great for extremely dry hair as well. This nourishing conditioner isn’t just sulfate-free but plant-based as well which works together in giving you healthier hair from root to tip.
- Safe for color-treated hair
- For all hair types
- Restores extremely dry hair
Interesting Review: Over a year ago my stylist recommended this product for my two daughters who have super curly hair. I was skeptical but after trying it I’m now a believer! It does the same job that Deva Curls conditioner did but at a fraction of the cost. Get this, you will love it! And your wallet will thank you for it! Sheralyne via Amazon
How Often Should You Condition Natural Hair?
Conditioning too often can create over moisturized hair and even disrupt the balance of the protein your hair needs which is why you should condition less often, once or twice a week of conditioning may be too often even for 4c natural hair which dries out faster hence you should deep condition once or twice in a week to achieve the desired cleansing and moisturizing effects.
Does conditioner help grow your hair?
Conditioner moisturizes your hair follicles, seal moisture in when your shampoo cleanses your scalp and strip it of nutrients, conditioner aids the hair to grow faster as it seals the cuticle to prevent breakage and give it free rein to grow without any damages and you can reach your hair growth goal with the right conditioner for your hair type.
Using hair conditioner for natural hair is important, it helps to ensure that your cuticles lay smooth to the surface, it also prevents tangles and you can detangle easily without breakage and aids easy styling as well. There are also conditioners that offer protection against UV ray and other benefits like essential nutrients that keeps your hair and scalp healthy hence the conditioners above has been compiled to give your hair the best softening treatment.
Read more on conditioning and hair care tips for natural hair:
- The Best Leave-In Conditioners For Natural Hair
- 17 Deep Conditioners For Natural Hair With Great Reviews
- How to Take Care Of And Maintain Natural Hair
- When to Shampoo Natural Hair?
- How Long Does Silk Press Last On Natural Hair?
- The Fastest Way to Transition to Natural Hair
- How to Keep Natural Hair Curly All Day
- The 11 Best Shampoo For Oily Hair 2020 (Updated)