How do you braid your hair the African way? African braid is becoming quite trendy and can be worn for months without it causing any breakage to your hair or scalp however there are various kinds of African braid and while are simple and takes less time, some requires an extension a takes lot’s of time and efforts to complete but are believed to be the most beautiful. There are also African braids in form of cornrows, also braid cane rows in the Caribbean are becoming a style of hair braiding for Africans.
An African braid is a form of hairstyle where the hair is braided very close to the scalp, using an underhand, upward motion to make a continuous raised rows and there are so many types of African braids that are really elegant and fitting for any kinds of events.
Braidings started in Africa and over the years, more amazing styles have been introduced and we compiled 50 new hairstyles to make African braiding easier.
Table of Contents
- 50 New And Easy African Braids
- 1. Parted Box Braid
- 2. All Side Braid Cornrow
- 3. Hight Ponytail
- 4. High Ponytail With Side Feed
- 5. Feathers Braid
- 6. Basket Braid
- 7. Tucked In High Bun Braid
- 8. Half Up Half Down With Feeds
- 9. Center Parting Cornrow Braid
- 10. Twisted Ponytail Braid
- 11. Center Parting Box Braid
- 12. Two-Step Braid With Front Styling
- 13. Feed All Back Braid
- 14. Easy Wrap Around Braid With Bun
- 15. Zig Zag Cornrow
- 16. Fulani Braid
- 17. Big And Small Cornrow Braid
- 18. Medium Ponytail With Round Cornrow
- 19. All Side Braid With Another Side Base
- 20. Front Fish Styling Two-Step Braid
- 21. Simple All Back Fulani Braid
- 22. Chunky Braid
- 23. Long Fulani Braid With Blue Attachment
- 24. Medium Ponytail Braid With Barrets
- 25. Wine Braid With High Ponytail Styling
- 26. Scanty Braid With Side Cornrow
- 27. Short Box Braid
- 28. Loose Tip Twisting
- 29. Long Goddess Braid
- 30. Stylish High Bun Braid With Base
- 31. Big Twisting
- 32. Double Bun Fulani Africa Braid
- 33. Two-Step Braid With Parting Feed
- 34. Ponytail With Dramatic Styling
- 35. Box Braid With Cornrow
- 36. One Side Braid Interwoven
- 37. Bun African Braid Medium And Big Cornrow
- 38. High Ponytail Bun
- 39. Simple Tribal Braid With Beads
- 40. Grey Box Braid
- 41. Center Parting Side Braid
- 42. Side Bun Braid With Feed And Beads
- 43. Two-Step With Scissor Styling
- 44. Tuck In Cornrow Braid
- 45. Half Up And Half Down Africa Braid
- 46. Cornrow With Box Braid
- 47. Fishtail Braid
- 48. Straight Bun Braid With Side Base
- 49. Easy Bun With Large Cornrow
- 50. Tribal Box Braid Style
50 New And Easy African Braids
African braids are beautiful and seem to stand out among other choices of hairstyles, you can an African braid whichever way you want and it also lasts longer than other forms of braids, below are 50 new and easy African braid for any kind of hair length and texture.
1. Parted Box Braid
Image: @beautyandthekurls // InstagramBox braids are easy to make and perfect if you have a medium hair length or trying to keep your hair away during summer, an extension is needed to make this hairstyle look exquisite, it is also a very trendy hairstyle and can be paired with any kind of look and outfit.
2. All Side Braid Cornrow
Keep it all rolled to the side for a different kind of appearance, it is another hairstyle that is really easy to make although you might not be able to style these different ways it’s a really amazing hairstyle.
3. Hight Ponytail
High ponytail is another chic African braid that can keep your hair from breakage, this is a good choice of hairstyle if you want a cool formal look.
4. High Ponytail With Side Feed
If you want to make your usual ponytail look a bit different and more glamorous then you might want to add a feed at the side to it, this makes the hairstyle turn out more elaborate.
5. Feathers Braid
Feathers braid can be done with your natural hair and not add any form of extension or attachment to it, it is another African braid that has been in trend for a very long while.
6. Basket Braid
Basket braid is an amazing hairstyle and can be rocked by anyone and you can always add a base to it for your kid, no extension is needed for this hairstyle except if you are adding color or have very short hair.
7. Tucked In High Bun Braid
Add a bit of color to your African braid and you will be glad you did, there are lot’s of ways high bun can be done and this is one of the most popular ones, you can drop the braid hands down or roll it up as seen in the image above.
8. Half Up Half Down With Feeds
Another African braid that is found to be really easy and fun, you can add different methods to it and all you need is a good stylist to help with the styling.
9. Center Parting Cornrow Braid
Here is another African braid that gives just the amount of sass and glamour you want in your hairstyle, this would be best for winter to avoid feeling uncomfortable and you can spark it up with a color attachment.
10. Twisted Ponytail Braid
A twisted ponytail is easy to make and comes with one form of styling, it is really gorgeous and chosen to complete a formal look.
11. Center Parting Box Braid
You can add more glam to your African braid with a center parting or a side parting, a box braid center parting like the one above is a fitting summer hairstyle and acts as protective styling for natural hair.
12. Two-Step Braid With Front Styling
Two-step braids are made by laying layers of cornrow on themselves, it’s another chic hairstyle that adds a practical look to one’s outfit.
13. Feed All Back Braid
If you want an African braid that is classy and simple then this is the perfect braid to go for, nothing dramatic about this braid and it takes less time to install compared to other forms of braids.
14. Easy Wrap Around Braid With Bun
African braid can be really simple if you want, this is a protective African braid and nothing much is required to make it however an attachment might be needed to make it thick and easy to wrap around.
15. Zig Zag Cornrow
This is called zigzag mainly because the linings are not straight, it adds a more unique appeal to the braid.
16. Fulani Braid
Fulani braid is a pretty awesome braid, it is trendy and fast becoming one of the trendiest African braids.
17. Big And Small Cornrow Braid
Cornrow braids do not have to be boring with the same size, you can add an interesting look to it with a small and big size feed.
18. Medium Ponytail With Round Cornrow
Enjoy another form of the ponytail with these interesting braid above, you can easily roll up your braid into a bun during summer.
19. All Side Braid With Another Side Base
This could also be referred to as Fulani braid but with just two cornrows and beads to adorn it. Oe form of styling but can be really adorable.
20. Front Fish Styling Two-Step Braid
These African braid has been styled with a twisted feed at the front hence why it is called fishtail braid, if you want a different styling then you can talk to your stylist before installing it.
21. Simple All Back Fulani Braid
Another Fulani braid but a really simple one this time with no side braid or feed, it is done by having cornrow at the front and goddess braid at the back.
22. Chunky Braid
Chunky braid is a protective hairstyle for natural hair, it is simple and really pretty.
23. Long Fulani Braid With Blue Attachment
Color is added to braid to beautify it and just like this exotic Fulani braid.
24. Medium Ponytail Braid With Barrets
This is a really gorgeous hairstyle and even more amazing when styled with a barret or other hair accessories. this is also known as a high ponytail hairstyle.
25. Wine Braid With High Ponytail Styling
Most box braids are referred to as graceful hairstyle, it beautifies the face event more than a casual braid.
26. Scanty Braid With Side Cornrow
Scanty cornrow can be adorned with beads to give it a more unique appeal, this can be done without extension if you have long hair length.
27. Short Box Braid
Short box braid is not new when it comes to African braids, it is simple and very scanty which means you can spend less time at the salon.
28. Loose Tip Twisting
Most fancy braid hairstyles is twisted as this is faster and with less fuss. Above is a classic twisting hairstyle for all kinds of hair length, not too dramatic either.
29. Long Goddess Braid
Instead of going for a short goddess braid, you can always try the long one, it is fancier and classic too. This hairstyle can be done for any kind of events and it’s known to add class to one’s look.
30. Stylish High Bun Braid With Base
If you have natural hair then you might want to keep most of your hairstyles simple to prevent breakage. This simple hairstyle above is one of the most suitable hairstyles.
31. Big Twisting
If you are not so into medium or tiny twisting braids then here is another braid style you can give a trial, interesting choice of African braid if you want to keep the front of your hair healthy.
32. Double Bun Fulani Africa Braid
A double bun braid is a simple hairstyle with a bun styling on either side of your head, it’s a really exquisite hairstyle.
33. Two-Step Braid With Parting Feed
Fulani braids are one on African most cherished braid style and this mainly because there are different amazing ways it can be implemented and above is one of those ways, this is classic and simple, the feed in the middle replaces a center parting.
34. Ponytail With Dramatic Styling
Time to give you ponytail a more interesting design, this is also referred to as snake and ladder ponytail and happens to be one of Africa’s favorite hairstyle.
35. Box Braid With Cornrow
Short box braids can also be done with cornrow to add more glam and make you look even more beautiful.
36. One Side Braid Interwoven
This is a great braid hairstyle that gives you a chin unique look, all side braids can only be packed one way but with different ways of styling.
37. Bun African Braid Medium And Big Cornrow
Get your stylist working on this beautiful bun braid for you and you will be glad you did, it is easy and takes less time.
38. High Ponytail Bun
African braids can be very fun and interesting and this applies mostly to bun braids combined with a ponytail and you get this beautiful style above.
39. Simple Tribal Braid With Beads
Tribal braids are becoming quite trendy this 2020 and this is due to how beautiful and exciting it makes the face looks, you can have this plaited in different ways.
40. Grey Box Braid
Grey box braids highlight the face features, this can be paired with any kind of makeups and it makes the face look bold and glamorous.
41. Center Parting Side Braid
Center parting side braid is a really cool hairstyle if you want to keep it on the low, not too overly dramatic.
42. Side Bun Braid With Feed And Beads
This is a lot similar to tribal braid but in the form of a bun braid and it is a very simple hairstyle that can last for 6 weeks if you take proper care of it.
43. Two-Step With Scissor Styling
A smooth sleek two-step braid makes a lot of hairstyle difference, you can easily have this rolled up or dropped.
44. Tuck In Cornrow Braid
Time to spice up the usual glamour hairstyle with an even more unique hairstyle.
45. Half Up And Half Down Africa Braid
Half up half down African braid is not just an elaborate hairstyle which is found fitting for all kinds of events but also very beautiful too.
46. Cornrow With Box Braid
A stylish Fulani braid can never go wrong and even more fascinating when styled with Conrow and simple designs at the front to make it look different from casual braids.
47. Fishtail Braid
A fishtail braid is not too dramatic and you can do this in the comfort of your home, really beautiful, and takes very minimal time to make.
48. Straight Bun Braid With Side Base
Another fascinating African bun braid every braid lover should have done, really classy, and tend to stand out at any kind of event.
49. Easy Bun With Large Cornrow
This is another easy African braid for lovers of braid, it can be done with your natural hair but the cornrow at the back might need an extension to make it look thick and long.
50. Tribal Box Braid Style
Tribal box braid is an easy to make hairstyle but this depends on full and elaborate you want it to be, the box braids could be medium and with less extension added to the baseline, this might give you a scanty tribal braid but still beautiful and fancy.
African braids are stylish and most of these styles listed above are modern and quite fancy for 2020, with African hair braid you can give your hair rest, it protects your natural hair against harsh environmental elements. Hair braiding also creates a chance for creativity, you can pick any style of your choice and have it blend to your preference. The best way to get these braid hairstyles is to let professionals from an African braiding hair salon do it to avoid mistakes.
Read more on African braids and protective styling:
- 120 African Braids Hairstyle Pictures to Inspire You
- 35 Pretty Chic Hairstyles For Girls Braids
- 30 Short Box Braid Styles For Every Lady To Try
- 15 Protective Natural Hair Hairstyles You’ll Love
- 21 Braid Hairstyles For Little Girls That Will Make You Say Awwwww!
- 15 Natural Hair Braid Styles For Short And Long Hair
- 30 Short Hairstyles With Natural Hair That Actually Looks Awesome
- 12 Types of Braids And What They Look Like
- 20 Natural Hair Afro Style Ideas For 2020 (Updated)