Should you use gel on natural hair? A gel is one of the amazing products a naturalist should own and this is because a gel has a better holding on your hair than curling or twisting cream and your hairstyle can get to look more defined for a long period of time and even more importantly you can achieve a sleek ponytail or bun with the right gel. Using the right gel on natural hair is really essential as your edges are really fragile and the wrong gel could cause breakages or cause your hair to turn crisp and stiff.
There is nothing like getting a chance to flex your natural hair and giving your hair the texture it wants but curly hair has a mind of its own and sometimes it’s hard to get it to cooperate and maintain a hairstyle, this can be really difficult especially when you are dealing with humidity and this why you need hair gel at hand.
Gels are great for defining your curls but it is important to choose one with the right ingredients that won’t dry out your hair, before you decide on a gel to stash up, we have rounded up the healthiest gels for natural hair from Amazon.
Uses Of Gel For Natural Hair
Do you need gel for your natural hair? This is a common question naturalist ask due to the fear of getting dry and stiff hair if the gel is used wrongly. Gels for natural hair comes in all kinds of flavors and it could be good or bad depending on the ingredients and your hair type. There are different gel types, and each offers different purposes, and knowing what gel should be used for on your natural hair helps you make the right purchase. Here are some uses for gel:
- Using Gel To Lay Edges: Laying edges is a very important aspect for natural hairstyles, this gives it a more sleek finished look, but this might not be for everyone if you are looking for a more natural look then you won’t need gel to tame your edges however if you are taming your edges with gel then the best gel to look out for is Edge gel, they give far stronger hold than a regular gel and be careful not to choose one that contains drying ingredients like alcohol.
- Using Gel For A Wash And Go: Gels can be used to define your curls for a wash and go styling and this gives your curls a shining bouncy look and for longer retention of curls as well. The gel usually has a better holding than curling cream
- Appling Gel To Slick Back Hair: Another interesting way to use gel is for slick back hairstyles like a bun or ponytail, this should, however, be done with caution as regular use of gel for natural hair could lead to serious hair loss but it probably won’t do much damage if used once a week.
What Are The Best Natural Hair Gel to Buy?
There is nothing as exciting as flexing your natural hair texture but sometimes natural hair can be a bit difficult to style especially if you are trying to create a but or ponytail and this is why you need gels. Gels come in all flavors and could be a fun addition to your hair regimen and you can make your baby hair look smooth and sleek, we have rounded up the best hair gel for natural hair from Amazon, hopefully, you can find the right product for you here.
- Eco Styler Professional Styling Gel Olive Oil– Best Overall Styling Gel
- Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Curling Gel– Best Curly Hair Gel
- Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel– Best Extra Hold Styling Gel
- Mielle Organics Styling Gel, Honey And Ginger– Best Lightweight Styling Gel
- Redken Velvet Blow Dry Gel– Best Gel For All Hair Types
- Cantu Natural Hair Moisturizing Twist And Lock Gel– Most Efficient
- African Formula Super Grow Hair Gel– Best Moisturizing Hair Gel
- Alikay Naturals Aloe Berry Style Gel– Most Versatile
- Kinky Curly Natural Styling Gel– Best Value
- Jason Flaxseed Styling Gel– Best Organic Styling Gel
|ECO Styler Professional Styling Gel, Olive Oil, Max Hold 10, 16 oz||Buy Now|
|Aunt Jackie's Don't Shrink Flaxseed Elongating Curling Gel, 15 Ounce (1 Count)||Buy Now|
|Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel 6.8 oz||Buy Now|
|Mielle Organics Styling Gel Honey & Ginger 13oz / 384ml||Buy Now|
|Redken Velvet Gelatine 07 Blow Dry Gel | For All Hair Types | Helps To Create Natural-Looking Volume & Shine | Medium Control | 3.4 Fl Oz||Buy Now|
|Cantu Natural Hair Twist & Lock Gel 13 Ounce Jar (384ml) (2 Pack)||Buy Now|
|African Formula Super Grow Hair Gel Regular Hold 4oz||Buy Now|
|Alikay Naturals Aloe Berry Style Gel, 8 Ounce||Buy Now|
|Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard Natural Styling Gel 16 oz||Buy Now|
|JASON Flaxseed Hi-Shine Styling Gel, 6 Ounce Tube||Buy Now|
Watch Us On YouTube
1. Eco Styler Professional Styling Gel Olive Oil- Best Overall Styling Gel
Eco styler professional styling gel has been made specially to give your natural edges a cool smooth look without stripping it of moisture, this styling gel helps your scalp to naturally regulate its own moisturizing system, it is easy to use and it is enriched with 100% olive oil to help keep your scalp and healthy and hydrated while you rock a bun or ponytail. This hair gel is free from alcohol and most loved for giving you an all-day hold.
- Free from alcohol
- Retains moisture to your scalp which results in a healthier hair and scalp
- Eady to use
- Super hydrating to edges
- Not for all hair types
- Not to be used consistently to avoid flaking
Radiating Review: This was a recommended product for doing Curly Girl. My hair has never been healthier. I know there are a variety of products available, but my favorite curly products are a little V05 conditioner and this ECO gel. A spritz of water in the morning to refresh, and it lasts me three days before I need to add more gel. GH via Amazon
2. Aunt Jackie’s Flaxseed Curling Gel- Best Curly Hair Gel
Aunt Jackie’s flaxseed gel is perfect for curly hair types, it is paraben-free and supports hair growth but used sparingly just like every hair gel for natural hair. This can be used on any coil, curl, or waves with hair problems, it is soothing and calm without the risk of flaking, it is formulated with flaxseed which is great for hair growth and hair thinning.
- Easy application
- Anti thining and overall hair scalp
- Smells nice
- Not for all hair types
Radiating Review: Really good, love it for giving me that wet wave looks without the stickiness and gel flakes. Soft and gentle and smells nice. Louisa via Amazon.
3. Garnier Fructis Style Pure Clean Styling Gel- Best Extra Hold Styling Gel
This natural styling gel offers your hair an all-day stronghold, it contains ingredients that are well known for it’s holding properties and a 24-hour clean hold without causing you to lose your edges. This styling gel comes with no visible residue and with 98% naturally derived ingredients, you can be assured of it not making your hair flaky and leaving zero residues too.
- Defines hair effectively without causing frizz
- Offers extra stronghold
- Leaves no residue or flakes
- Can make hair feel a bit heavy
- Sensitive for some hair types
Radiating Review: It’s so difficult to find truly unscented products – but this meets the claim! If you have a sensitivity to smells, this will not bother you. *SUPER PLUS*
It can be a bit thick, providing crunchy like hair – it all depends on how you apply. For a thinner look, just add some water, if you are looking for the stiffer look, wait until hair dries a bit, and then apply. Easy to work with, for whatever hold you want – just need to learn what works for you. Panzer via Amazon.
4. Mielle Organics Styling Gel, Honey And Ginger- Best Lightweight Styling Gel
This styling gel gives your natural edges a lovely sleek look without causing your hair to flake, this gel is lightweight and most suitable for 4c/4b natural hair, it is a great defining gel for a wash and go hairstyle and leaves your hair soft with no flakiness. Mielle organic honey and ginger have a good medium hold on your that you can’t help but love and a great pump that makes it easier to push pout products.
- Great for second-day curl enhancement
- It does not dry the hair or leave it crunchy
- No sticky build-up or artificial additives
- Very strong scent
- Heavy on some hair types
Radiating Review: My favorite hair product line. My hair is natural and curly. I use this for a wash n go or rods. No flaking, no crunchiness, but nice hold. You only need a small amount of you to use this with the mouse. I love this so much that I have given it to my stylist to use instead of her products. I highly recommend it. Nors via Amazon.
5. Redken Velvet Blow Dry Gel- Best Gel For All Hair Types
Redken velvet gel is for all hair types and most suitable for natural hair as it helps to create a natural-looking volume and shine. This styling gel is great for taming your edges and gives you a smooth wash and go styling in minutes, it dries fast without messing up your hair or leaving it flaky. It is reviewed to smell great after blow drying it and won’t weight down your hair.
- For all hair types
- It holds shape very well without the stiffness of mousse
- Nice scent
Radiating Review: I’ve loved this gel since way back in 2015, maybe even 2014. A stylist used it on my hair back then, and I loved the scent so much I had to go buy it for myself. In addition to a great smell, it adds extra volume and softness to my hair when I blow dry it – I have long hair, so it’s often weighed down by its own length. I love that I can run this product through the roots for a little extra pizazz lol. Molly via Amazon.
6. Cantu Natural Hair Moisturizing Twist And Lock Gel- Most Efficient
Cantu moisturizing twist and lock is just the right kind of gel every naturalist should have, this hair gel is formulated with shea butter which is designed to help control frizz and make your natural hair easy to maintain and style. It gives you a strong smooth hold and it is also free from silicone, paraben, sulfate, and mineral oil. You need just a small amount of this gel to get the best styling result.
- It doesn’t stiffen or make hair crunchy
- It helps control frizz
- Works better on thicker hair
- Too much can cause the hair to become dry
- Expensive compared to other styling gels for natural hair
Radiating Review: Works well and smells good too, my kids love this brand. Just a bit pricey but does the job. Angel via Amazon.
7. African Formula Super Grow Hair Gel- Best Moisturizing Hair Gel
This amazing hair gel gives you just the kind of slick back hairstyle you want to create without stripping moisture from your hair, it helps to hold your styles for a long day and promotes healthy hair and scalp. African formula super grows hair gel is a stronghold hair gel for natural hair and gives a regular curl definition hold.
- Doesn’t leave hair crunchy
- Great as a natural moisturizer
- Does not leave any white flaky residue as some gel will
Radiating Review: This is amazing didn’t want to write a review until I used it for a while well I cut all my damaged hair off and was super sad because I have never had short hair but this is amazing I use every day and my hair is growing I am so happy. Jennifer Lynne Vargas via Amazon.
8. Alikay Naturals Aloe Berry Style Gel- Most Versatile
Aloe berry styling gel contains a unique blend of all-natural ingrr=edients to give your hair a healthy boost, it offers you a versatile styling and retains moisture without damaging your hair or scalp. This styling gel is specially formulated with aloe vera that conditions and smoothen your hair cuticles, sweet almond oil that nourishes the cuticle for stronger hair and scalp, and avocado oil which penetrates the hair cortex and helps avoid damages.
- Prevents hair breakage and increase shine
- Lay down stubborn edges
- Styles your hair without creating any flake or dryness
- Makes hair easy to detangle
- The smell comes on a bit too strong and tends to linger
Radiating Review: I thought I wasn’t going to like it after receiving it and seeing the look of the product and feeling the consistency. It says ‘gel’, so I thought it was more like a gel that lays your hair down. It was not. I did twists and they were incredibly soft and defined. Not at all crunchy! MY twists were soft, defined, and beautiful. Buying more!!!!!! T.H via Amazon.
9. Kinky Curly Natural Styling Gel- Best Value
The list of natural hair gel won’t be complete without kinky – curly styling gel, this gel has been designed to give you a natural curl or wave pattern you never knew you had before, it is easy to use without it being too heavy on your natural hair. This styling gel is great for kinky and tightly coiled hair, it should be applied in small sections.
- Great as a curl definer
- Acts as moisturizer gel or leave-in
Radiating Review: The picture I’ve posted is of my fifth-day hair using the kinky curly custard and knot today leave-in conditioner. Before discovering this product, that was unheard of for me. After trying so many different products and spending lots of money (and crazy hair days) it finally paid off. This is the only product line I’ve found that works for my hair and gives me consistent results. ted&lacey via Amazon.
10. Jason Flaxseed Styling Gel- Best Organic Styling Gel
Jason flaxseed styling gel is suitable for all hair types, this is a quality styling gel that provides your hair with quality texture, shine and slip, it makes practically any hairstyles easy and great for defining your curls. This is also considered gentle enough for color-treated hair as it is made with gentler and effective ingredients and it blends instantly into your hair. The quantity to be used depends on your hair length and thickness.
- It is alcohol-free
- It is a clear gel and does not weigh hair down
- Provides salon quality texture, shape and shine
- For all hair types
- Too much dries hair out
Radiating Review: I’ve been searching for a vegan friendly, no chemical hair pomade or gel for quite some time. I tried quite a few others I did not like when I then stumbled upon this one. This is the first one that has a stronghold nut also does not have a heavy residue that is left in your hair at the end of the day. It is also the most inexpensive one that I have found which is also a big plus! Highly recommend! M. Brady via Amazon.
Tips To Apply Hair Gel Appropriately
How do you apply natural hair gel without causing damages to your hair? Before applying hair gel to your natural hair, there are a couple of things that need to be put in place, this enhances your hair healthy and prevents flakiness.
Make sure your hair is clean before applying the gel, hair gels won’t work effectively on greasy or dirty hair, the condition of your hair is likely to affect the result you get however for a matte finish apply the gel on dry hair and for a glossier look, apply on damp hair.
Avoiding piling your hair with too much gel can make it flaky and crunchy hence using a thumb in the application is better, the amount of gel really depends on your hair thickness and length so use accordingly.
Is Gel Bad For Natural Hair?
Styling gels are not bad for natural hair but the problem arises when you don’t use them the right way or use it too often which would only lock out moisture from your hair. It is important to also wash out the gel from your hair to prevent build-ups and flakiness from overuse hence yous should wash gel out thoroughly at the end of the day.
What Can I Use Instead Of A Hair Gel?
Hair gel is a sure way for you to set your hair strays on lock, lay your edges and give your curls a smooth look, they are great for a carefree tousled look but on days you can’t get to your favorite hair helm, here are some terrific hair gel alternatives you can use:
- Hair cream
- Hair wax
- Hair paste
- Hair serum
- Aloe vera gel
- Flaxseed oil
Some of these are not just alternatives to hair gel but nourishes your hair and scalp as well.
Final Thoughts On Best Natural Hair Gel To Buy
Compared to pomade, wax, or even hair paste, hair gel is more likely to give you that tousled or formal red carpet look you want to create however your choice of hair gel should depend on the overall formula and if it contains the right ingredients such as vitamin E and aloe vera that will give your hair a natural shine and also shield it from damaging effects of UV rays and won’t damage your edges.
Read more on natural hair gel and hair care tips:
- Should You Use A Natural Hair Gel?
- How to Keep Natural Hair Curly All Day
- 10 Natural Hair Care Tips You Need In Your Life Right Now
- How to Curl Natural Hair Without Heat Tools
- The Best Leave-In Conditioners For Natural Hair
- How to Make Your Natural Hair Curly
- How Long Does Silk Press Last On Natural Hair?
- Is Using Natural Hair Growth Oil Worth It?